DHS Report Shows that 90 Percent of U.S. Borders Are Not 'Effectively Controlled'
DHS Report Shows that 90 Percent of U.S. Borders Are Not 'Effectively Controlled' No Plans to Expand Control for FY 2010 WASHINGTON, Oct. 1 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As the new fiscal year begins, the Department of Homeland Security's Annual Performance Report indicates that the department has no plans to increase control of U.S. borders beyond the 894 miles they now claim to have under "effective control." The report reveals how little control the United States actually has over its land and sea borders, despite the 9/11 Commission's report citing uncontrolled borders as a threat to homeland security. According to DHS's own definition, U.S. borders include 8,607 miles of land borders with Mexico and Canada and "certain coastal sectors." The 894 miles now controlled by DHS represent just a little more than 10 percent of America's borders. Despite that, according to the goals set forth for FY 2010, the department does not intend to bring one additional mile of border under control during the coming year. "Discontinuing further expansion of border protection is a dismaying example of the government's continuing disregard for the security of the nation," charged Dan Stein, president of the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR). "Securing 10 percent of the border leaves 90 percent wide open for entry by illegal aliens, terrorists, drug cartels and gang leaders." The DHS Annual Performance Report bolsters the case against the Obama administration's ill-conceived plans to promote an illegal alien amnesty in 2010, argues FAIR. Both the administration and its congressional allies have vowed that amnesty would be predicated on having our borders under control. "Effective control of 10 percent of the border is no mark of success and is not justification for this administration and congressional leaders to proceed with a massive illegal alien amnesty. The fact that DHS has no intention of improving that dismal performance is an example of gross malfeasance," said Stein. "The DHS report makes it very clear that another divisive debate about granting amnesty to millions of illegal aliens must be scrapped." Stein continued. "The federal government must set meaningful standards for securing our borders - commensurate with the serious threats we face - and devote the resources and manpower necessary to keep our nation safe and achieve dramatic reduction in illegal immigration. "It's easy to succeed when the bar is set low and you are grading your own performance. Unfortunately, the threats to the nation are grave and DHS is woefully unprepared and apparently unwilling to confront them," concluded Stein. About FAIR Founded in 1979, FAIR is the country's largest immigration reform group. With over 250,000 members nationwide, FAIR fights for immigration policies that serve national interests, not special interests. FAIR believes that immigration reform must enhance national security, improve the economy, protect jobs, preserve our environment, and establish a rule of law that is recognized and enforced. SOURCE Federation for American Immigration Reform Ira Mehlman, +1-206-420-7733 or Bob Dane, +1-202-328-7004, both of FAIR