US gold hits record high $1,081.70/oz on IMF sale
NEW YORK, Nov 3 (Reuters) - U.S. gold futures scaled an all-time high $1,081.70 an ounce on Tuesday, surpassing the previous record set Oct. 14, boosted by technical buying and news of a gold sale by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to India.
For the latest detailed report, click on [GOL/].
* December gold GCZ9 up $23.10, or 2.2 percent, at $1,077.10 an ounce at 11:13 a.m. EST (1613 GMT) on the COMEX division of NYMEX.
* Ranged from $1,055.50 to $1,081.70.
* Gold futures buying increased after the IMF sold 200 tonnes of gold to the Reserve Bank of India. [ID:nN02468120]
* News led to expectations that IMF's remaining 203.3 tonnes for sale will be concluded with minimal impact to open market. [ID:nDEL484779]
* Gold boosted on the notion that India could buy more from the IMF, and news that gold producers could accelerate hedge buybacks should support - Heraeus.
* Barrick Gold and AngloGold Ashanti said they could accelerate hedgebook cuts. [ID:nL2318309]
* Gold's sudden rally supported by heavy buy-stops at $1,069 to $1,070 -- a technical triple top - trader.
* Official sector gold holdings expected to be strong despite sale by the IMF - European Central Bank official. [ID:nL2359370]
* COMEX estimated 10 a.m. volume at 131,679 lots.
* Gold-to-oil ratio at 13.82, up from 13.57 from the previous session.
* Spot gold XAU= at $1,076.90 an ounce, against $1,059.15 late in New York in the previous session.
* London's afternoon gold fix XAUFIX= at $1,061.
* December silver SIZ9 up 49.50 cents, or 3 percent, at $16.935 an ounce, rising with gold.
* Ranged from $16.245 to $17.085 -- a one-week high.
* COMEX estimated 10 a.m. volume at 35,100 lots.
* Spot silver XAG= was at $16.61 versus $16.43 in the previous session in New York.
* London silver fix XAGFIX= at $16.35.
* January platinum PLF0 up $9.90 at $1,348 an ounce, taking the lead from gold.
* Spot platinum XPT= was at $1,340, compared with late previous session quote of $1,334 in New York.
* December palladium PAZ9 down $4.85, or 1.5 percent, at $321.50 an ounce on profit-taking.
* Spot palladium XPD= was at $321, compared with the previous session's close at $321.50. Prices at 11:14 a.m. EST (1614 GMT)
Last Change Pct 2008 YTD
Chg Close % Chg US gold GCZ9 1077.00 23.00 2.2 884.30 21.8 US silver SIZ9 16.970 0.530 3.2 11.295 50.2 US platinum PLF0 1349.80 11.70 0.9 941.50 43.4 US palladium PAZ9 326.95 0.60 0.2 188.70 73.3 Gold XAU= 1075.90 16.75 1.6 878.20 22.5 Silver XAG= 16.61 0.18 1.1 11.30 47.0 Platinum XPT= 1341.50 7.50 0.6 924.50 45.1 Palladium XPD= 321.00 -0.50 -0.2 184.50 74.0 Gold Fix XAUFIX= 1061.00 3.00 0.3 836.50 26.8 Silver Fix XAGFIX= 16.35 -23.00 -1.4 14.76 10.8 Platinum Fix XPTFIX= 1325.00 9.00 0.7 1529.00 -13.3 Palladium Fix XPDFIX= 318.00 3.00 0.9 365.00 -12.9 (Reporting by Frank Tang; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Ukraine appeals to West as Crimea turns to Russia |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- CIA accused of spying on U.S. Senate intelligence committee