UPDATE 1-Walgreen October sales up a bit more than expected
* Oct. same-store sales up 4.9 pct vs Street view 4.8 pct
* Pharmacy same-store sales up 5 pct
* Front-end same-store sales up 4.7 pct
CHICAGO, Nov 3 (Reuters) - Walgreen Co (WAG.N) said October sales at stores open at least a year rose 4.9 percent, with flu vaccinations driving some of the growth and sales of general merchandise topping expectations.
Pharmacy same-store sales rose 5 percent. The company said 1 percentage point of growth came from seasonal flu shots.
Sales of general merchandise, sold at the front-end of stores, rose 4.7 percent.
Analysts, on average, expected Walgreen's same-store sales to rise 4.8 percent, with a 6 percent jump in pharmacy and a 2.5 percent rise in the front end, according to Thomson Reuters data. (Reporting by Jessica Wohl, editing by Dave Zimmerman)
- Malaysia Airlines plane missing at sea off Vietnam, presumed crashed |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- China draws 'red line' on North Korea, says won't allow war on peninsula
- Warning shots fired to turn monitors back from Crimea |
- Malaysian plane crashed off Vietnam coast: state media