George Clooney to host telethon for Haiti aid
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Hollywood actor George Clooney will host a telethon on MTV next week to raise funds for victims of the earthquake in Haiti, the music network said on Thursday.
The event will be broadcast on all MTV Network channels on Friday, January 22, when Clooney is expected to be joined by as yet unnamed pop music and movie stars.
Haiti-born musician Wyclef Jean has already raised over $1 million for the aid effort via the Twitter network, and is in the country "giving aid and assessing the situation", according to his website.
- Carnage at U.N. school as Israel pounds Gaza Strip |
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- U.S. economy back on track with strong second-quarter rebound |
- Argentine debt talks down to the wire to avert default
- EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine |