- Planetary alignment peaks with celestial show this weekend
- UK fighters escort Pakistan plane to airport, two arrests
- Sixth night of violence in Sweden, but police say capital calmer |
- Judge rules against 'America's toughest sheriff' in racial profiling lawsuit
- Arizona jury foreman says believed Jodi Arias was abused
Iran to hang nine more over election unrest
TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran said on Tuesday it would soon hang nine more rioters over the unrest that erupted after the June presidential vote, and the leader of the opposition said such repression showed the 1979 Islamic revolution had failed.
"Nine others will be hanged soon. The nine, and the two who were hanged on Thursday, were surely arrested in the recent riots and had links to anti-revolutionary groups," said senior judiciary official Ebrahim Raisi, the semi-official Fars news agency reported.
The two men hanged last week were among a group of 11 people sentenced to death on charges including "waging war against God" and being members of armed groups. is involved in the Darkhovin oilfield.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this