UPDATE 1-Axis Capital's Q4 profit trumps Street view
* Q4 oper EPS $1.83 vs est EPS $1.31
* Q4 total rev up 50 pct to $867.6 mln
* Net premiums rose 8 pct to $713.6 mln
Feb 8 (Reuters) - Axis Capital Holdings Ltd (AXS.N), a Bermuda insurer and reinsurer, posted a better-than-expected quarterly profit, helped by a surge in net investment income.
For the fourth quarter, the company earned $282 million, or $1.87 a share, compared with $131 million, or 88 cents a share, last year.
Operating earnings were $276 million, or $1.83 per share, compared with $163 million, or $1.09 per share, a year ago.
Analysts on average were looking for a profit of $1.31 a share, before items, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Total revenue jumped 50 percent to $867.6 million.
Net premiums earned rose 8 percent to $713.6 million.
Net investment income was $118.2 million, from $26 million in net investment losses in the previous year.
Reinsurers essentially provide insurance to other insurers, spreading the risk of losses among several carriers.
Axis Capital shares closed at $28.69 Monday on the New York Stock Exchange. (Reporting by Brenton Cordeiro in Bangalore; Editing by Jarshad Kakkrakandy)
- Scots vote on independence, United Kingdom's fate on knife-edge |
- Australian PM says police raids follow IS linked beheading plot |
- Chinese hacked U.S. military contractors: Senate panel
- China not warlike, says Xi, as border standoff dominates India trip
- IMF warns of risks from 'excessive' financial market bets