Ashley Tisdale to co-star in "Hellcats"
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - In her first regular broadcast series gig, "High School Musical" alumna Ashley Tisdale has signed on to co-star on the CW pilot "Hellcats" in the role of a cheerleader.
Executive produced by "Smallville" star Tom Welling, the project centers on Marti (Aly Michalka), a college girl from the wrong side of the tracks who, after losing her scholarship because of budget cutbacks and the chronic irresponsibility of her mother (Gail O'Grady), joins the Hellcats, the college's competitive cheerleading team.
Actress-singer Tisdale will play Sierra, the peppy and fiercely intense captain of the Hellcats who, after an initial clash with Marti, realizes that she just might be the godsend the Hellcats need to win the championship.
Like Michalka, who starred on Disney Channel's "Phil of the Future," Tisdale has become a star on Disney Channel. In addition to her role as Sharpay Evans in the "HSM" franchise, she co-starred on the channel's comedy "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody" and voiced a character on "Phineas and Ferb."
On broadcast TV, she had a multiple-episode role on the CBS sitcom "Still Standing."
- Gaza toll passes 100; Israel to counter rockets 'with all power' |
- Mexican train derails, stranding 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S.
- Ukraine says rebels will pay as missiles kill 23 soldiers |
- Texas mass murder suspect collapses in court as crime recounted
- British 'Harry Potter' actor David Legeno found dead in U.S. park