Ashley Tisdale to co-star in "Hellcats"
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - In her first regular broadcast series gig, "High School Musical" alumna Ashley Tisdale has signed on to co-star on the CW pilot "Hellcats" in the role of a cheerleader.
Executive produced by "Smallville" star Tom Welling, the project centers on Marti (Aly Michalka), a college girl from the wrong side of the tracks who, after losing her scholarship because of budget cutbacks and the chronic irresponsibility of her mother (Gail O'Grady), joins the Hellcats, the college's competitive cheerleading team.
Actress-singer Tisdale will play Sierra, the peppy and fiercely intense captain of the Hellcats who, after an initial clash with Marti, realizes that she just might be the godsend the Hellcats need to win the championship.
Like Michalka, who starred on Disney Channel's "Phil of the Future," Tisdale has become a star on Disney Channel. In addition to her role as Sharpay Evans in the "HSM" franchise, she co-starred on the channel's comedy "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody" and voiced a character on "Phineas and Ferb."
On broadcast TV, she had a multiple-episode role on the CBS sitcom "Still Standing."
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year |
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Thousands of South Africans line up to see Mandela lie in state |
- China bitcoin arbitrage ends as traders work around capital controls