PRECIOUS-Gold barely moved after volatile trade
SINGAPORE, March 26 (Reuters) - Gold held near New York levels on Friday, with firm stock markets likely to help it resist selling pressure from a tumbling euro and weak oil.
* Spot gold XAU= was at $1,090.00 an ounce by 0032 GMT, barely moved from New York's notional close on Thursday.
* Gold slid briefly with the euro in the previous session on comments by the European Central Bank chief about a potential bailout of Greece but then drew support from relatively firm equities and oil markets.
* U.S. gold futures for April delivery GCJ0 fell $2.4 to $1,090.5 an ounce.
* The world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, SPDR Gold Trust (GLD), said its holdings stood at 1,124.647 tonnes as of March 25, up 4.568 tonnes from the previous business day. [GOL/SPDR]
* Japan's Nikkei average rose 0.7 percent and hit a two-month high on Friday, with exporters such as Sony Corp (6758.T) gaining on a weaker yen after the dollar rose to its highest in over two months. [.T]
* U.S. crude futures extended declines to a third day on Friday in line with the euro's decline against the dollar after Euro zone leaders agreed to create a joint financial safety net with the IMF to help debt-ridden Greece. [O/R]
* The euro fell to a 10-month low against the dollar on Thursday after a European draft agreement on aid for debt-stricken Greece showed that the euro zone and the International Monetary Fund will share the load. [USD/]
* Agricultural markets fell sharply on Thursday, pushing commodities broadly lower for a sixth straight session after a weak demand outlook for crops and a strong dollar kept buyers away. [COM/WRAP]
* The following data is expected on Friday ECON
- European summit concludes
- U.S. GDP final estimate for Q4 (1230 GMT)
- U.S. corporate profits for Q4 (1230 GMT)
- Reuters/Univ of Mich final March consumer sentiment (1355 GMT)
- U.S. ECRI weekly (1430 GMT)
RELATED NEWS > Europe agrees on Greek safety net with IMF role [nLDE62N2R1] > Japan deflation grinds on, BOJ under pressure [nTOE62P00E] > US jobless claims fall, buoy jobs recovery hopes [nN25214871] > White House plans housing aid Friday- sources [nN25222809] > Bernanke says US economy still needs Fed's help [nN25222814] > Euro zone states must be more responsible-Trichet [nLDE62O2C4] > ECB's Wellink-China FX policy a recipe for crisis [nLDE62O1GI] > Fed's Pianalto offers grim view of US recovery [nN25222437] Precious metals prices at 0032 GMT Metal Last Change Pct chg YTD pct chg Turnover Spot Gold 1090.00 -0.35 -0.03 -0.52 Spot Silver 16.57 0.01 +0.06 -1.54 Spot Platinum 1593.50 -3.50 -0.22 8.62 Spot Palladium 446.75 -3.75 -0.83 10.17 TOCOM Gold 3250.00 19.00 +0.59 -0.28 22987 TOCOM Platinum 4717.00 73.00 +1.57 7.67 8766 TOCOM Silver 49.70 -0.10 -0.20 -3.87 133 TOCOM Palladium 1325.00 20.00 +1.53 13.73 127 Euro/Dollar 1.3312 Dollar/Yen 92.46 TOCOM prices in yen per gram. Spot prices in $ per ounce. (Reporting by Lewa Pardomuan; Editing by Himani Sarkar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this