UPDATE 1-RenaissanceRe Q1 profit beats Street view
* Q1 oper. EPS $1.91 vs est $0.77
* Investment income rises 60 pct April 27 (Reuters) - RenaissanceRe Holdings Ltd (RNR.N), a Bermuda reinsurer, reported quarterly profit above Wall Street estimates, helped partly by higher investment income.
Net income available to common shareholders for the first quarter was $165 million, or $2.73 a share, compared with a net profit of $97.3 million, or $1.57 a share, in the year-ago period.
Operating income, a measure commonly used by analysts, rose to $116.5 million, or $1.91 a share, compared with $94.2 million, or $1.52 a share, in the year-ago period.
Analysts on average expected the company to earn 77 cents a share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
The company recorded $124.5 million of net negative impact from the Chilean earthquake and Xynthia windstorm in the first quarter.
Net investment income for the quarter was $67.2 million, compared with an investment income of $42.1 million in the year-ago period.
Shares of the company closed at $55.37 Tuesday on the New York Stock Exchange. (Reporting by Supantha Mukherjee in Bangalore; Editing by Aradhana Aravindan)
- Ukraine says Russian tanks flatten town; EU to threaten more sanctions |
- Seven NATO allies to create new rapid reaction force-report
- F-16s dispatched for unresponsive pilot of small plane near D.C.
- Islamic State militants behead captive Lebanese soldier: video
- Car tied to suspected threat against Obama found in Connecticut