UPDATE 1-Owens-Illinois profit up sharply, tops Street
* Q1 EPS 50 cts/shr vs Street 47 cts/shr
* Net sales $1.58 bln
HOUSTON, April 28 (Reuters) - Glass container manufacturer Owens-Illinois Inc (OI.N) said on Wednesday its first-quarter profit rose more than expected, helped by higher prices for its products.
For the period, the company posted net income of $85.3 million, or 50 cents per share, compared with $45.1 or 27 cents per share a year earlier.
Analysts expected earnings of 47 cents, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
First-quarter net sales rose to $1.58 billion in 2010, from $1.52 billion in the year ago period, primarily due to favorable foreign currency translation effects, the Perrysburg, Ohio company said.
Analysts expected revenue of $1.65 billion. (Additional reporting by Ernest Scheyder in New York; editing by Carol Bishopric)
- Obama makes rare campaign trail appearance, people leave early
- Obama makes rare campaign trail appearance, some leave early
- Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to defenders |
- Nigeria declared Ebola-free, holds lessons for others |
- U.S. stocks end higher despite drag from IBM