EU's Barnier: deliberation on hedge fund rules soon
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - European Commissioner for Internal Markets and Services Michel Barnier said on Tuesday that European Union ministers and parliament will begin deliberations on new hedge fund regulations in a few days in an effort to ensure that they do not escape regulation.
Barnier, who is in Washington to meet senior U.S. regulatory officials including U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, said such regulations must be coordinated with rules in the United States.
"My road map is extremely clear. No market, no product, no territory will escape regulation that is both intelligent and efficient," Barnier said through an interpreter.
(Reporting by David Lawder, Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
- Missouri executes man for killing good Samaritan motorist in 1994
- Focus turns to Thai military, anti-government protesters tell them to pick sides |
- Google executives' planes saved millions in costs due to error - NASA
- Mandela signer hits back: I'm sign language champion |