US STOCKS-Futures edge higher on M&A flurry
NEW YORK May 17 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks futures were higher on Monday as a fresh wave of mergers and acquisitions helped dissipate worries over the impact of heavy euro-zone debt loads on a global recovery.
* "A sprinkling of M&A activity is sugar-coating the bitter pill Europe has had to offer," said Andre Bakhos, director of market analytics at Lek Securities in New York.
"Emotions are running high, and at any given moment that pendulum can yield a wide array of results. There seems to be a renewed confidence in the ability of Europe to avert the most feared of disasters."
* Hospital operator Universal Health Services Inc (UHS.N) said it would buy Psychiatric Solutions Inc PSYS.O, which operates mental health facilities, for about $2 billion in cash plus the assumption of about $1.1 billion in debt. For details, see [ID:nSGE64G09E]
Psychiatric Solutions shares gained 2.4 percent to $33.40 in light premarket trade, while Universal Health was up 4.8 percent to $40.90.
* Astellas Pharma Inc (4503.T), Japan's No.2 drugmaker, agreed to buy U.S. biotech OSI Pharmaceuticals Inc OSIP.O for $4 billion in cash in a sweetened bid that would add OSI's blockbuster cancer drug Tarceva to its line-up. [ID:nTOE64G012]
* OSI shares shed 4 percent to $57.40 in light trade.
* GLG Partners Inc GLG.N jumped 37.5 percent to $4 after it agreed to be acquired by rival hedge fund firm Man Group PLC (EMG.L). [ID:nLDE64G0EN]
* And private equity firm Apollo Global Management is in talks to buy U.S. packaging maker Pactiv Corp PTV.N in a leveraged deal, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing sources. [ID:nSGE64G065]
* S&P 500 futures SPc1 rose 2.6 points and were above fair value, a formula that evaluates pricing by taking into account interest rates, dividends and time to expiration on the contract. Dow Jones industrial average futures DJc1 added 11 points, and Nasdaq 100 futures NDc1 gained 4.25 points.
* Lowe's Cos Inc (LOW.N) slipped 2 percent to $25.55 premarket after the home improvement retailer reported higher-than-expected quarterly profit. [ID:nN17148997]
* Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (005930.KS), the world's largest memory chipmaker, is doubling projected capital spending this year to make more chips and flat screens. [ID:nTOE64F015]
* Data due later Monday includes the New York Federal Reserve's Empire State Manufacturing Survey for May and the National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo May housing market index.
* European shares rose 1 percent Monday morning with BP Plc (BP.L)(BP.N) leading energy shares higher after it said it was making progress containing an oil spill. But persistent worries about euro zone sovereign debt sent the euro EUR= tumbling to a 4-year low. (Reporting by Chuck Mikolajczak; editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data