UPDATE 1-Anadys exploring strategic options, including sale
* Retains Lazard Freres as strategic advisor
* To raise about $12.5 mln
* Shares up 8 pct
May 26 (Reuters) - Anadys Pharmaceuticals Inc ANDS.O said it was exploring strategic alternatives, including potential sale of the company.
The company said it has retained Lazard Freres & Co. LLC as its strategic adviser.
Anadys said strategic alternatives may include selling or licensing its experimental hepatitis C drug, ANA598, which is in a mid-stage trial.
The company could also consider alternatives that include a liquidation of its assets and resulting cash distribution per share after payment of outstanding liabilities.
Separately, the company said it entered into agreements with certain institutional investors to raise about $12.5 million.
The company would offer 5.8 million shares at $2.15 per share in a "registered direct" offering.
Shares of the company were up 8 percent at $2.40 in early morning trade Wednesday on Nasdaq. They closed at $2.23 Tuesday. (Reporting by Anand Basu in Bangalore; Editing by Prem Udayabhanu)
- Wildfire rips through 150 homes in Northern California
- Boeing, SpaceX win contracts to build 'space taxis' for NASA
- Polls show Scottish opponents of independence with slight lead ahead of vote |
- Chinese envoy says North Korea's Kim Jong Un may visit Beijing: Yonhap
- 'Forced labor' rife in Malaysian electronics factories: report