Read
- Egypt's Mursi defies army as it plots future without him
|
- Snowden needs "world's protection", says Venezuelan leader
- Actor Pierce Brosnan's daughter dies of ovarian cancer
- UPDATE 2-Trayvon Martin trial told Zimmerman injuries "insignificant"
- Fugitive Snowden's options narrow as asylum requests spurned
|
Reuters Photojournalism
Our day's top images, in-depth photo essays and offbeat slices of life. See the best of Reuters photography. See more | Photo caption
Egypt's Mursi protests
Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi clings to office as protesters demand that he resign. Slideshow
Obama in Africa
President Obama is seeking to build a new economic partnership with Africa at the end of a tour of the fast-growing continent. Slideshow
Sponsored Links
Suicide bomber kills dozens at Afghan wedding party
1 of 8. An Afghan boy lies on a bed in a local hospital after a suicide attack last night in Kandahar June 10, 2010.
Credit: Reuters/Ahmad Nadeem
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan |
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (Reuters) - At least 40 people were killed and 77 injured by a suicide bomb attack on a packed wedding party in insurgency-plagued southern Afghanistan, officials said on Thursday.
"A suicide bomber went inside the party where hundreds of people were sitting and blew himself up," a police official said of the blast at around 9:30 p.m. (1700 GMT) on Wednesday in Arghandab district, north of Kandahar, where foreign troops are focusing on a push in coming months to whittle out the Taliban.
A Kandahar policeman said many of the guests had links to local police officials or a local militia, which was why it was likely targeted, although the Taliban denied responsibility.
"We condemn such a brutal act," Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi told Reuters from an undisclosed location. "The Taliban wage Jihad (holy war) in order to free the people from the hands of occupiers. How can we kill them?"
The Taliban have previously claimed responsibility for insurgent attacks but recanted once civilian casualties have become clear.
Ahmadi laid blame at the feet of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) for Afghanistan, which has killed hundreds of civilians in misdirected air strikes. Taliban attacks have claimed more civilian lives.
An ISAF spokeswoman said it was not involved in the blast and had helped local security forces in follow up operations.
"This is an Afghan matter," the spokeswoman said.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai, whose plan to seek engagement with the Taliban won support at a tribal peace conference last week, deplored the wedding bombing as a "terrorist attack."
UN-ISLAMIC
"This attack ... is the work of those cruel people who act against Islamic and divine values," Karzai's office said in a statement.
Witnesses described scenes of chaos at the wedding, which had drawn around 400 celebrants including women and children from nearby villages.
"Some people were waiting for food, others were dancing inside a big tent, when I heard a deafening blast," a wounded survivor named Aminullah said.
"The dust went up in the sky and I saw dead bodies everywhere. Women and children were screaming. I thought it was end of the world."
Citing hospital reports, Kandahar Governor Tooryalai Wisa said ball bearings had been used as shrapnel, a hallmark of suicide bombings. Children were among the dead, the Interior Ministry said in a statement.
The Taliban have regrouped since their U.S.-led overthrow in 2001 and now engage a foreign force that is expected to grow to 150,000 in coming months as part of an offensive against insurgent strongholds in the south.
A favored tactic is improvised explosive devices (IEDs) or suicide attacks on foreign or Afghan forces, but pro-government sympathizers are also targeted and the insurgency used as a cover to settle old scores.
Rural wedding parties in Afghanistan can often be raucous affairs with large gatherings of people and frequently accompanied by celebratory gunfire. Several have mistakenly been attacked in the past by foreign forces.
(Additional reporting by Hamid Shalizi in Kabul; Writing by David Fox; Editing by Dan Williams)
- Tweet this
- Link this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Reprints
Anyone forget why we’re over there? Does anyone want that $%^# happening over here?
What a crap!
The fact is – I can’t remember a year in the last 45 or more, when someone, somewhere hasn’t been bombing something.
AS for Muslims killing Muslims. Why wouldn’t Csnail consider them human? Christians have been killing Christians for centuries – even owning them as slaves in the old South, and they never doubted their own humanity.
And on the forth of July we celebrate with fireworks. People tend to like bombs. Just not being on the receiving end of them.
There are so many going off now that is getting very hard to know exactly who is doing it,and why they are doing it. It is also very difficult to know if the “enemy” is actually the bomber at all?
WE could be moving into a world where the bombers are your own national security apparatus making sure they have employment prospects in tough times. WHO COULD EVER PROVE OTHERWISE?







Follow Reuters