North Korean envoy to brief UN press corps Tuesday
UNITED NATIONS, June 14 (Reuters) - North Korea's U.N ambassador will hold a rare briefing for members of the U.N. press corps this week, a spokesman for the United Nations said on Monday.
The briefing by North Korean U.N. Ambassador Sin Son-ho will take place at U.N. headquarters in New York at 11:00 a.m. (1500 GMT) on Tuesday and cover "the current situation on the Korean peninsula," spokesman Farhan Haq told reporters.
It will come a day after South and North Korean delegations separately brief the U.N. Security Council about the deadly sinking of a South Korean naval ship in March that has raised tension on the Korean peninsula. [ID:nTOE65D03H]
The South has accused the North of torpedoing the ship, an an allegation the North has denied. (Reporting by Louis Charbonneau; Editing by Eric Walsh)
- U.S. and Arab allies launch first strikes on fighters in Syria |
- Argentina's Fernandez to meet billionaire investor Soros in New York
- Israel downs Syrian warplane it says violated its Golan airspace
- Qatar adamant it will host 2022 World Cup despite doubts
- U.S. attack on IS targets in Syria "will be answered" - fighter