UPDATE 1-Benihana reports Q1 sales above Street
* Q1 total sales $100.2 mln vs est $96.9 mln
* Q1 same-restaurant sales rise 2.4 pct
Aug 2 (Reuters) - Benihana Inc BNHN.O, an operator of Japanese-themed restaurants, reported better-than-expected quarterly sales, helped by higher traffic at its flagship Benihana teppanyaki brand.
For the first quarter, Benihana, which runs teppanyaki and sushi restaurants, said total sales rose 5 percent to $100.2 million. Same-restaurant sales increased 2.4 percent, the company said.
Benihana teppanyaki, which accounted for 65 percent of total restaurant sales, saw a 3.4 percent increase in guest count.
Analysts on average expected sales of $96.9 million, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Last month, Benihana said it was considering a sale of the company after unhappy shareholders threatened to seek board seats to change how the restaurant chain conducts its business. [ID:nSGE66C0IL]
Shares of the Miami-based company closed at $6.75 Friday on Nasdaq. (Reporting by Swati Chitnis in Bangalore; Editing by Anne Pallivathuckal)
- Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800 |
- 'Weird Al' Yankovic still trying to wrap head around No. 1 album
- World's oldest joke traced back to 1900 BC
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane |
- Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali |