UPDATE 1-Amtrust Q2 profit beats Street view
* Q2 oper EPS $0.58 vs est $0.53
* Q2 net earned premiums up 43.5 pct
Aug 3 (Reuters) - Property and casualty insurer AmTrust Financial Services Inc (AFSI.O) reported a quarterly profit above market view, helped by a rise in net earned premiums.
For the second quarter, net income was $30.8 million, or 51 cents a share, compared with $26.8 million, or 45 cents a share, a year ago.
On an operating basis -- which typically excludes any investment gains and losses -- the company posted earnings of 58 cents a share.
Analysts on average were looking for a profit of 53 cents a share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Net earned premiums rose 43.5 percent to $196.3 million.
AmTrust said the combined ratio was 85.7 percent during the quarter, up from 79.6 percent last year.
Combined ratio is the percentage of premiums an insurer has to pay out in claims and expenses. A figure over 100 indicates that underwriting was unprofitable.
Shares of the company closed at $13.25 Monday on Nasdaq. (Reporting by Swati Chitnis in Bangalore; Editing by Prem Udayabhanu)
- Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits suicide |
- After Nevada ranch stand-off, emboldened militias ask: where next?
- New Russia sanctions threats as Ukraine stalemate goes on |
- Florida man charged with murdering son so he could play video games
- All 338 Korean students, teachers rescued from sinking ferry - school official