UPDATE 1-Lancaster Colony Q4 results miss view, shares fall
* Q4 EPS $0.81 vs est $0.98 * Revenue misses estimates * Specialty Food sales fall 4 pct
* Shares fall 11 pct
Aug 19 (Reuters) - Consumer products company Lancaster Colony Corp (LANC.O) reported quarterly results that missed market expectations, hurt by weaker demand at its specialty food business.
Shares of the company, which also has a glassware and candles business segment, fell as much as 11 percent in early trade Thursday on Nasdaq.
Lancaster Colony said earnings optimism for 2011 is tempered by economic hurdles faced by consumers, and potentially higher food commodity and packaging costs.
The company, however, said new products in its specialty foods business could boost sales.
For the fourth quarter ended June 30, Lancaster Colony earned $22.8 million, or 81 cents a share. [ID:nASA00O9N]
Shares of the Columbus, Ohio-based company, which lost about 10 percent of its value in the past three months, were down 3 percent at $46.90 morning trade on Nasdaq. They touched a low of $43.28 earlier in the session.
More than half a million shares changed hands, more than three times the 50-day moving average volume of the stock. (Reporting by Renju Jose in Bangalore)
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Probe: Athletes took fake classes at University of North Carolina
- Canada's Harper pledges tougher security laws after attack |
- Some U.S. hospitals weigh withholding care to Ebola patients
- Man arrested after jumping White House fence, causing lockdown