UPDATE 1-Tech Data posts strong results; sees sales growth in Q3
* Q2 EPS $0.82 vs est. $0.78
* Q2 net sales $5.47 bln vs est. $5.44 bln
* Sees foreign currency to have more effect in H2
Aug 19 (Reuters) - Tech Data Corp (TECD.O) reported quarterly results that beat Wall Street expectations and said it expects demand trends to continue into the third quarter, with sales growth in the Americas and Europe.
However, the technology products distributor said it expects the impact of foreign currencies to have a more pronounced effect on second-half results than the first. The second-quarter sales was hit by a stronger U.S. dollar.
For the second quarter ended July 31, the company's net income was $40.9 million, or 82 cents a share, compared to $35.2 million, or 70 cents a share in the year-ago period.
Net sales rose 5.6 percent to $5.47 billion.
Analysts on average were expecting a profit of 78 cents a share and revenue of $5.44 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
The Americas region, which includes North America and Latin America, grew 8.4 percent, while sales in Europe grew 3.2 percent.
Shares of Tech Data, which have risen more than 5 percent since the beginning of this week, closed at $38.67 Wednesday on Nasdaq. (Reporting by Jennifer Robin Raj in Bangalore; Editing by Aradhana Aravindan)
- Still no sign of Malaysian jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- The search for missing Malaysian jet
- Mexico kills drug kingpin reported dead years ago: official
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source