Mideast Quartet calls for Israel, Palestinian talks
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The Quartet of Middle East peace mediators on Friday invited Israel and the Palestinians to reopen direct negotiations on September 2 in Washington aimed at creating a Palestinian state.
"The Quartet expresses its determination to support the parties throughout the negotiations, which can be completed within one year, and the implementation of an agreement," said the statement from the United States, Russia, European Union and United Nations.
"The Quartet again calls on both sides to observe calm and restraint, and to refrain from provocative actions and inflammatory rhetoric," it added.
- Divided, Scots prepare to vote on fate of the United Kingdom |
- Scots vote in independence referendum to seal the United Kingdom's fate |
- Australian PM says police raids follow IS linked beheading plot
- Dollar hits six-year peak versus yen, ECB aims cash hose
- Apple to unveil new iPads, operating system on Oct. 21: report