Joan Cusack joins Showtime drama "Shameless"
NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Joan Cusack is replacing Allison Janney in the new Showtime one-hour drama series "Shameless."
Cusack will play "an agoraphobic Chicago housewife with a sexually active teenage daughter" who strikes up a special friendship with William H. Macy's character. Janney played the role in the pilot.
Based on the long-running British series, "Shameless" revolves around a working-class Chicago clan dealing with the recession. The mother is AWOL, and the alcoholic patriarch (Macy) usually ends up passed out on the living-room floor, so their smart but unpredictable 18-year-old daughter, Fiona (Emmy Rossum), is tasked with keeping her five younger brothers and sisters on the straight and narrow.
Production on the first season begins in mid-September with the premiere set for Sunday, January 9.
- Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Record cold, ice grip U.S.; more snow to blanket East
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'