- Whole neighborhoods razed by Oklahoma tornado that killed 24 |
- Analysis: Some Republicans see new scandal in Sebelius fundraising
- Apple CEO makes no apology for company's tax strategy |
- Convicted U.S. killer Arias would join tiny death row group
- Drop in U.S. underground water levels has accelerated -USGS
China concerned over BHP's bid for Potash Corp
BEIJING, Sept 15 |
BEIJING, Sept 15 (Reuters) - China will pay close attention to the $39 billion bid that top global miner BHP Billiton (BHP.AX) is making for the world's biggest fertiliser maker, Potash Corp (POT.TO), the Ministry of Commerce said on Wednesday.
"Such a deal will definitely be a concern for the global potash industry, including China's potash industry," Yao Jian, the ministry's spokesman, told a regular news conference.
Asked whether the ministry would probe a successful bid under its anti-monopoly powers, Yao said: "We will pay close attention to it and if we receive a formal application, we will carry out investigations according to the law."
Yao said the ministry had not been notified by Sinochem Corp, the parent of China's largest fertiliser distributor, Sinofert Holdings (0297.HK), or any other Chinese company about a possible counterbid for Potash Corp. (Reporting by Zhou Xin and Alan Wheatley; Editing by Ken Wills)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this