NEW YORK, Oct 8 U.S. gold futures ended nearly 1 percent higher on Friday following a sharp retreat in the previous session, as a disappointing nonfarm payrolls report reinforced expected U.S. monetary easing.
* For the latest detailed report, click on [GOL/].
* COMEX December gold futures GCZ0 settled up $10.30 at $1,345.30 an ounce on the COMEX division of the NYMEX.
* Range ran from $1,325.60 to $1,350.80.
* A U.S. Labor Department report showed the U.S. economy shed jobs in September for a fourth straight month as government payrolls fell and private hiring slowed. [ID:nN08205203]
* Weak jobs data should push the Fed toward trying to stimulate the economy through purchases of government debt, or quantitative easing - Miguel Perez-Santalla at Heraeus Precious Metals Management.
* Gold has rallied about 10 percent since the end of August. It hit a record high on Thursday of $1,364.60 an ounce on a spot basis before finishing lower for the day. The precious metal is viewed as a hedge against inflation and dollar depreciation. (Graphic: r.reuters.com/kaf27p)
* COMEX gold market's open interest climbed 4,737 contracts to a record high 621,941 lots as of Wednesday, according to exchange data.
* Estimated gold volume at 194,441 lots, 57 percent above its 30-day average, preliminary Reuters data showed.
* By 3:23 p.m. EDT (1923 GMT), spot gold XAU= rose 1 percent to $1,345.80.
* London afternoon gold fixed XAUFIX= at $1,341.50 an ounce.
* COMEX December silver SIZ0 ended up 52.10 cents, or 2.3 percent, at $23.105 an ounce, as the white metal continued to outperform gold on heavy short-term buying - traders.
* Ranged from $22.350 to $23.325 an ounce.
* COMEX estimated volume at 67,820 lots, above 64 percent higher than its 30-day average - preliminary Reuters data.
* Spot silver XAG= climbed 2.8 percent at $23.16 an ounce.
* London silver was fixed XAGFIX= at $22.37 an ounce.
* NYMEX January platinum PLF1 finishes up $3.70 at $1,708.70 an ounce on broad-based rallies of metals and commodities - traders.
* The Reuters-Jefferies CRB index, a global commodities benchmark, hit two-year highs as U.S grains and oil markets led a broad commodities rally, while the dollar slipped to new lows against a basket of major currencies. [FRX/]
* Spot platinum XPT= inched up 0.6 percent to $1,701 an ounce.
* NYMEX December palladium PAZ0 closed up 50 cents at $587.60 an ounce as the market took a breather after recent sharp rallies.
* Spot palladium XPD= gained 1.1 percent at $585.50 an ounce. Prices at 3:25 p.m. EDT (1925 GMT)
LAST/ NET PCT YTD
CLOSE CHG CHG CHG US gold GCZ0 1345.30 10.30 0.8% 22.7% US silver SIZ0 23.105 0.521 0.0% 37.2% US platinum PLF1 1708.70 3.70 0.2% 16.2% US palladium PAZ0 587.60 0.50 0.1% 43.7% Gold XAU= 1346.00 13.45 1.0% 22.8% Silver XAG= 23.17 0.65 2.9% 37.6% Platinum XPT= 1701.00 9.40 0.6% 16.1% Palladium XPD= 585.50 6.35 1.1% 44.4% Gold Fix XAUFIX= 1341.50 11.00 0.8% 21.5% Silver Fix XAGFIX= 22.37 -101.00 -4.3% 31.7% Platinum Fix XPTFIX= 1683.00 5.00 0.3% 14.8% Palladium Fix XPDFIX= 572.00 3.00 0.5% 42.3% (Reporting by Frank Tang) For the latest news and prices, click on the codes in brackets:
CBOT 100 oz gold futures <0#ZG:>
CBOT 5,000 oz silver futures <0#ZI:>
Spot gold/silver XAU=XAG=
Gold lease rates LGLR
COMEX gold futures <0#GC:>
COMEX copper futures <0#HG:>
N.Y. metals hourly volumes IZQI
Vols/open interest IATZ
Europe/Asia prices <GOLD/EU1> <GOLD/EU2> <GOLD/ASIA1>
RELATED NEWS AND OTHER TOPICS Precious metals news [GOL] All metals news [MTL] All commodities news [C] Metals diary [MTL/DIARY] Ldn Bullion Mkt Assoc LBMA01 Foreign exchange rates FX=S
SPEED GUIDES COMMODS PRECIOUS1 <PRECIOUS/FUT1> <PRECIOUS/CASH1> <PRECIOUS/SWAP1> <PRECIOUS/VOL1> REUTERS
Reuters Financial Glossary: glossary.reuters.com