Nobel laureate's wife: China should be proud
WASHINGTON Oct 8 (Reuters) - The wife of Nobel Peace Prize laureate Liu Xiaobo said on Friday China should take pride in her husband's selection and release him from prison.
"I hope that the international community will take this opportunity to call on the Chinese government to press for my husband's release," she said.
"As the committee recognized, China's new status in the world comes with increased responsibility," Liu Xia said in a written statement released by the Freedom Now human rights group.
"China should embrace this responsibility, have pride in his selection, and release him from prison," she said.
(Reporting by Arshad Mohammed, editing by Vicki Allen)
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Apple loses bid for U.S. ban on Samsung smartphone sales
- UPDATE 6-Obama warns on Crimea, orders sanctions over Russian moves in Ukraine
- Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'
- Crimea votes to join Russia, Obama orders sanctions |