Nobel laureate's wife: China should be proud
WASHINGTON Oct 8 (Reuters) - The wife of Nobel Peace Prize laureate Liu Xiaobo said on Friday China should take pride in her husband's selection and release him from prison.
"I hope that the international community will take this opportunity to call on the Chinese government to press for my husband's release," she said.
"As the committee recognized, China's new status in the world comes with increased responsibility," Liu Xia said in a written statement released by the Freedom Now human rights group.
"China should embrace this responsibility, have pride in his selection, and release him from prison," she said.
(Reporting by Arshad Mohammed, editing by Vicki Allen)
- U.S. man sues soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Netanyahu vows to complete Gaza tunnels destruction |
- Argentina defaults but investors see eventual deal possible
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’