Six foreign troops killed in Afghanistan attacks
KABUL (Reuters) - Six foreign troops were killed in three separate attacks in Afghanistan on Wednesday, the latest in a growing number of casualties as the war enters its tenth year, the NATO-led force said.
Four troops died in one improvised bomb attack and a service member was killed in a separate blast in the south of the country, while a sixth died in an insurgent attack in the east, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said.
ISAF did not immediately provide further details on the nationalities of the casualties or the attacks.
More than 30 foreign troops have been killed just this month.
The war against Afghanistan's insurgents is at its most bloody since the conflict began in 2001 when U.S.-backed Afghan forces ousted the Taliban from power. More than 2,000 foreign troops have died since then, over half in the last two years.
(Reporting by Patrick Markey; Editing by Nick Macfie)
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean - U.S |
- Russia holds war games near Ukraine; Merkel warns of catastrophe |
- New York City gas explosion subject of federal probe |
- White House tried to mediate dispute between Senate, CIA panel: source
- UPDATE 1-U.S. investigators suspect missing Malaysian plane flew for hours -WSJ