Oprah gives Jon Stewart audience D.C. rally tickets
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Oprah Winfrey had a big surprise for the audience of "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" on Thursday.
The daytime queen appeared via satellite on the Comedy Central show to announce that she was going to fly the audience to Washington, D.C., for Stewart's "Rally to Restore Sanity," taking place October 30.
"We need a bit more sanity in the world," she said. "I wanted to show my support for you, Jon, and your audience, so here's what I did. I had my staff sneak into your studio with a little gift."
She told the audience to look under their seats, where they found red envelopes, which they opened.
"You're going to the rally!" she yelled. "Now get out there and restore some sanity."
Winfrey -- who previously showed her support for the rally via Twitter -- also is planning to pay for the audience members' hotels, according to JustJared.com.
Stewart's fellow Comedy Central co-host Stephen Colbert also is planning a rally for October 30, dubbed the "March to Keep Fear Alive." The "Colbert Report" host was in the studio for the announcement that the two have combined their rallies and will be sharing one permit.
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- Ukraine forms new defense force, seeks Western help |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- Freescale loss in Malaysia tragedy leads to travel policy questions