IMF names Portuguese economist to head European Dept
WASHINGTON Oct 26 (Reuters) - The International Monetary Fund on Tuesday named former deputy governor of the Bank of Portugal, Antonio Borges, to head the IMF's European Department.
Borges, a Portuguese national, currently chairs the Hedge Fund Standards Board in London and succeeds Marek Belka who became central bank governor in Poland. Borges is likely to start his IMF job in late November, the IMF said in a statement.
(Reporting by Lesley Wroughton, Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- North Korea executes leader's powerful uncle in rare public purge |
- Insight: In Yemen, al Qaeda gains sympathy amid U.S. drone strikes
- Twitter backtracks on block feature after users revolt
- Iran angry over U.S. sanctions, nuclear talks interrupted