IMF names Portuguese economist to head European Dept
WASHINGTON Oct 26 (Reuters) - The International Monetary Fund on Tuesday named former deputy governor of the Bank of Portugal, Antonio Borges, to head the IMF's European Department.
Borges, a Portuguese national, currently chairs the Hedge Fund Standards Board in London and succeeds Marek Belka who became central bank governor in Poland. Borges is likely to start his IMF job in late November, the IMF said in a statement.
(Reporting by Lesley Wroughton, Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
- Three dead, two wounded in Pasadena, California shootings
- Israeli commandos clash with Hamas militants on Day 6 of Gaza offensive |
- Teen survivor of Texas shootings says slain family members 'in much better place'
- Rape and murder of 13-year-old spark debate in junta-ruled Thailand
- Israeli commandos clash with Hamas gunmen in Gaza raid