Republican Coats wins Indiana Senate seat, networks project
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republican Dan Coats won the Senate race in Indiana on Tuesday over Democrat Brad Ellsworth, the MSNBC and Fox TV networks projected, giving Republicans a seat previously held by Democrats.
The victory by Coats, who retired previously from the Senate and was recently working as a lobbyist, helps Republicans narrow the gap in the Senate against Democrats who are at risk of losing their majority in the chamber.
He will replace retiring Democratic Senator Evan Bayh.
- Radar showed missing plane may have turned back: Malaysia military
- Malaysian jetliner may have turned back before vanishing |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea despite U.S. warning |