3D "Sex and Zen" offers buyers various edits
HONG KONG (Hollywood Reporter) - Up to a dozen "tailor-made" versions of erotic 3D film "Sex and Zen: Extreme Ecstasy" are set to spring up across the globe come the film's release in the summer of 2011.
The film's producers will offer differing cuts to cater to the censorship standards and cultural tastes in different regions.
Buyers are encouraged to "pick and choose" edits, not only for their regions, but also for theatrical and DVD releases, to address the censorship concerns of various territories.
The tactic has proved effective, as the rights to the title have been snatched up for Italy, France, Peru, Russia, and Singapore during the American Film Market, after an eight-minute preview in 3D was screened.
The film's distribution rep said buyers can choose to put together "tamer versions" suitable for their respective territories.
The action-packed film was shot entirely in stereoscopic 3D.
It is a reinvention of the 1991 blockbuster "Sex and Zen," inspired by the 17th century Chinese erotic novel The Carnal Prayer Mat, that spawned a wave of copycat period erotica set in historical China.
Hong Kong release of the film is set for May or June 2011.
(Editing by Zorianna Kit)
- Ferguson protest march marks two weeks since police shooting |
- Gaza gunmen execute 'collaborators'; mortar kills Israeli boy |
- Merkel says tightening Ukraine-Russian border is key to peace deal |
- U.S. says Russia must pull convoy from Ukraine or face more sanctions |
- U.S. hostage rescuers dropped from night sky: Syria activist