Actor Johannes Heesters quits smoking - at age 106
BERLIN (Reuters) - Actor and singer Johannes Heesters has given up smoking for love -- at age 106.
"I did it for love, for my wonderful wife," Heesters, who is better known as "Jopie" in Germany where he has spent most of his 90-year career, told the German entertainment magazine Bunte. "She should have me as long as possible."
Dutch-born Heesters, who will turn 107 on Sunday, has been married to German actress Simone Rethel, 61, since 1992. Heesters said he quit smoking three weeks ago.
Heesters, who in 2008 apologised for his cooperation with the Nazi regime, is known for his roles in the film "Die Fledermaus" (1946) and the German film "The Moon Is Blue" (1953).
(Writing by Eric Kelsey; editing by Paul Casciato)
- U.S.' Kerry expresses regret to India over diplomat case |
- Washington, DC city council raises minimum wage to $11.50/hr in 2016
- China confirms near miss with U.S. ship in South China Sea
- Mega Millions winners in Georgia, California to split $648 million |
- Medical bills underlie 60 percent of U.S. bankrupts: study
During Soviet times, Sochi gained a reputation for tolerance but the city's once vibrant gay scene has been shrinking as Russia prepares to host the 2014 Winter Games. Slideshow