Chilean prison fire kills 81 -state television
SANTIAGO Dec 8 (Reuters) - A fire broke out at a prison in the Chilean capital early on Wednesday, killing 81 people, state television reported, citing prison officials.
Television footage showed flames engulfing the San Miguel prison and black smoke billowing from the building.
It was not immediately clear what caused the fire or if all 81 victims were prisoners. Television reports said as many as 19 people were injured. (Writing and reporting by Simon Gardner; Editing by Bill Trott)
- Still no sign of Malaysian jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- The search for missing Malaysian jet
- Mexico kills drug kingpin reported dead years ago: official
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source