Groupon files to raise up to $950 million: VC Experts
BOSTON (Reuters) - Groupon's board has authorized the company to raise up to $950 million in what would be the biggest round of equity financing since Pixar sought some $500 million in 1995, the venture capital data firm VC Experts said on Tuesday.
The online discount coupon company, which specializes in local advertising, is seeking the funding after reports last month that it was in talks to sell itself to Google Inc (GOOG.O) for up to $6 billion, in what would have been the web advertising giant's biggest ever acquisition.
Groupon made its intentions known in an restated certificate of incorporation that it filed with the State of Delaware on December 17, according to Justin Byers, head of business intelligence for VC Experts, which specializes in providing data on private companies.
Officials with Groupon could not immediately be reached for comment.
(Reporting by Jim Finkle; editing by Carol Bishopric)
- Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard: report |
- UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- China draws red line' on North Korea, says won't allow war on peninsula
- No signal picked up from missing Malaysia Airlines plane-Vietnam official
- China helping locate missing Malaysia Airlines plane: TV