Suicide bomber kills 17 police and soldiers in Pakistan
ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - A suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden vehicle into a mosque in northwest Pakistan on Wednesday, killing 17 paramilitary soldiers and policemen, police said.
The mosque, which was heavily damaged, is beside a police station on the outskirts of Bannu, a town bordering North Waziristan, a hub of al Qaeda and Taliban militants. Officials said people were trapped in the rubble.
(Reporting By Kamran Haider; Editing by Robert Birsel)
- Japan PM makes offering to Yasukuni Shrine, angers China, South Korea
- South Korea's Park says conduct of ferry crew tantamount to murder |
- Putin playing the long game over Russian kin in Ukraine
- Cyclone threatens to disrupt search for missing Malaysian plane |
- Asian stocks subdued on Ukraine caution, dollar firms vs yen