Lidstrom and Staal named All-Star game captains
TORONTO (Reuters) - Carolina Hurricanes forward Eric Staal and Detroit Red Wings defenceman Nicklas Lidstrom have been named captains for the NHL All-Star game, the league said Tuesday.
Under the new All-Star game format, Staal and Lidstrom were voted captains by their fellow All-Stars and will draft teams from a pool of players named to play in the January 30 mid-season classic in Raleigh.
The two teams will be officially known as Team Lidstrom and Team Staal.
Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby had been expected to be named a captain but remains sidelined with a concussion and might not be fit to play.
Lidstrom, a six-time Norris Trophy winner as the NHL's top defenceman, will be playing in his 12th All-Star contest.
The Swede, in his 19th NHL season, leads all NHL defencemen in scoring with 42 points (11 goals, 31 assists).
Staal, the most valuable player at the 2008 All-Star game, leads the Hurricanes in goals with 22 and points with 46.
(Editing by Steve Ginsburg)
- Malaysia Airlines plane missing at sea off Vietnam, presumed crashed |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- China draws 'red line' on North Korea, says won't allow war on peninsula
- Warning shots fired to turn monitors back from Crimea |
- Malaysian plane crashed off Vietnam coast: state media