Macs, McNuggets and now maple syrup in Vermont
BOSTON (Reuters Life!) - McDonald's Big Macs and Chicken McNuggets are served the world over, but only in Vermont can diners at the fast-food giant now get pure maple syrup with their breakfast oatmeal.
Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin announced on Thursday that McDonald's USA has agreed to offer pure Vermont maple syrup or sugar with its Fruit and Maple Oatmeal menu item, beginning in February.
Vermont is the nation's largest producer of maple syrup, and it upholds strict maple laws.
The state previously said McDonald's use of maple in its advertising for its oatmeal did not comply with regulations because it did not actually contain maple.
For now, the pure Vermont maple syrup will only be offered in-state, but Shumlin said he would encourage McDonald's to use the state's prize crop in stores elsewhere.
- IPhone emerges from 'bygone era', reviewers hail bigger handset
- Fed renews zero rate pledge, but hints at steeper rate hike path
- On eve of secession vote, UK's fate hangs on a divided Scotland |
- Boeing, SpaceX win contracts to build 'space taxis' for NASA
- Islamic State campaign tests Obama's commitment to Mideast allies