South Carolina girl, 9, killed by grandfather's dog
ATLANTA (Reuters) - A nine-year-old girl was mauled to death in South Carolina while playing with her grandfather's dog, authorities said on Monday. The dog was tested for rabies and put down.
Kristen Lee Dutton was playing with the dog in the yard in McCormick County on Saturday when she was attacked, said Jackie Crawford-Rivers of the county sheriff's department.
Her brother spotted her lying in the sand and told the grandfather, said Crawford-Rivers. Dutton suffered puncture wounds to the neck and was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
The dog, which the grandfather had owned for about three weeks, was put to death and tested for rabies, said Crawford-Rivers.
Rabies can make dogs aggressive but the dog had not shown previous signs of aggression and authorities were unsure why the attack happened, the Augusta Chronicle newspaper reported.
(Reporting by David Beasley; Editing by Matthew Bigg)
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- North Korea says Jang Song Thaek, uncle of leader Kim Jong Un, executed
- Probation for drunk Texas teen driver who killed four sparks backlash
- North Korea executes leader's powerful uncle in rare public purge |
Thousands line up to say goodbye to Nelson Mandela, whose body is lying in state in Pretoria. Slideshow