South Carolina girl, 9, killed by grandfather's dog
ATLANTA (Reuters) - A nine-year-old girl was mauled to death in South Carolina while playing with her grandfather's dog, authorities said on Monday. The dog was tested for rabies and put down.
Kristen Lee Dutton was playing with the dog in the yard in McCormick County on Saturday when she was attacked, said Jackie Crawford-Rivers of the county sheriff's department.
Her brother spotted her lying in the sand and told the grandfather, said Crawford-Rivers. Dutton suffered puncture wounds to the neck and was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
The dog, which the grandfather had owned for about three weeks, was put to death and tested for rabies, said Crawford-Rivers.
Rabies can make dogs aggressive but the dog had not shown previous signs of aggression and authorities were unsure why the attack happened, the Augusta Chronicle newspaper reported.
(Reporting by David Beasley; Editing by Matthew Bigg)
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Apple loses bid for U.S. ban on Samsung smartphone sales
- Putin rebuffs Obama as Ukraine crisis escalates |
- Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'
- UPDATE 6-Obama warns on Crimea, orders sanctions over Russian moves in Ukraine