PRECIOUS-Gold steady; safe-haven demand down on upbeat data
SINGAPORE, Jan 28 (Reuters) - Spot gold held near a four-month low on Friday, after falling by more than two percent in the previous session, as economic data from the United States and Europe pointed to steady growth, which depresses safe-haven demand from investors.
* Spot gold was little changed at $1,313.25 an ounce by 0041 GMT, after falling to $1,308.70 in the previous session, its lowest in nearly four months.
* U.S. gold futures fell 0.4 percent at $1,313.
* U.S. housing and factory data on Thursday showed the economy still gaining strength in December but at a pace unlikely to cause the Federal Reserve to rethink its stimulus program.
* Euro zone economic sentiment was broadly flat in January, pointing to a good start to 2011, but inflation expectations jumped among companies and households, adding to European Central Bank policy headaches.
* Holdings in the SPDR Gold Trust , the world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, fell about three tonnes to its eight-month low of 1,226.546 tonnes.
* Strong corporate earnings led Wall Street to a 29-month closing high for a second day on Thursday, but another run of big gains may be harder to achieve.
* The yen nursed broad losses on Friday after Standard & Poor's cut Japan's credit rating by a notch, though it fared relatively better against the U.S. dollar which had troubles of its own.
0900 EZ Money-M3 3m moving av Dec
1130 India M3 Money Supply Final
1330 U.S. Real GDP qq SAAR Q4-Adv
1455 U.S. Reuters/UMich Sent Jan-P
:: U.S. Chevron Q4
RELATED NEWS > Mixed U.S. data points to growth momentum > ECB warns of imported inflation, euro jumps > German inflation edges up in January > S&P cuts Japan debt rating; warning to rich world > US manufacturing profits suggest stronger economy > China to open up yuan cautiously, boost trade > Euro zone sentiment broadly flat, inflation outloo > Yen weak on S&P downgrade; commodities drop > U.S., Japan must spell out plans to cut debt-IMF > Strong Japan exports suggest end to econ lull near > Brent hovers near flat as premium to WTI surges > Russia cbanker sees inflation risks in H1
PRICES Precious metals prices 0041 GMT Metal Last Change Pct chg YTD pct chg Volume Spot Gold 1313.25 1.01 +0.08 -7.48 Spot Silver 26.90 0.02 +0.07 -12.83 Spot Platinum 1777.99 -3.01 -0.17 0.59 Spot Palladium 801.47 -0.75 -0.09 0.25 TOCOM Gold 3511.00 -51.00 -1.43 -5.85 35292 TOCOM Platinum 4790.00 -36.00 -0.75 2.00 4881 TOCOM Silver 71.80 -1.20 -1.64 -11.36 668 TOCOM Palladium 2139.00 -10.00 -0.47 2.00 290 COMEX GOLD FEB1 1313.00 -5.40 -0.41 -7.63 1559 COMEX SILVER MAR1 26.90 -0.13 -0.48 -13.06 501 Euro/Dollar 1.3725 Dollar/Yen 82.84 TOCOM prices in yen per gram. Spot prices in $ per ounce. (Reporting By Rujun Shen; Editing by Ed Lane)
Reuters Terminal users can see related news and prices by
double clicking on the codes in brackets: - All precious metals headlines - Precious metals market reports - Daily fixing headlines - Technical analysis - Indian gold reports - European gold prices <0#PREC> - London interbank gold forward rates <0#GOFO=> - London silver forwards
- Gold lease rates <0#LGLR=> - London Bullion Market Association - New York Comex gold <0#GC:> and silver <0#SI:> - New York platinum <0#PL:> and palladium <0#PA:> - Asian gold prices <0#PREC> - Australian precious metals prices <0#AUPREC=>
- Shanghai Gold Exchange prices - Hong Kong gold exchange prices - Hong Kong bullion prices - Indian bullion prices <0#PREC-IN> - Japanese producer prices
For Related News and other topics, double click on one of these codes: SPEED GUIDES
- With no sign of missing plane, search spreads far across land and sea |
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Toddler found with heroin at New Jersey daycare center
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- Ukraine appeals to the West as Crimea turns to Russia |