BHP, Peabody Australian coal mines shut ahead of Cyclone Yasi
PERTH Feb 2 (Reuters) - BHP Billiton's South Walker Creek and Broadmeadow coal mines and Peabody Energy's Burton coal mine were shut ahead of Cyclone Yasi, which is expected to land on the Queensland coast early Thursday, a union official told Reuters on Wednesday.
BHP owns the South Walker Creek and Broadmeadow coal mines, which have a combined capacity of over 6 million tonnes of coal per year, through the BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance, which it owns jointly with Japan's Mitsubishi.
Peabody's Burton produces about 2.7 million tonnes of coal per year.
(Reporting by Rebekah Kebede; Editing by Manash Goswami)
- Still no sign of Malaysian jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- The search for missing Malaysian jet
- Mexico kills drug kingpin reported dead years ago: official
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source