Geithner urged Brazil to lobby China on yuan-source
BRASILIA Feb 7 (Reuters) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner urged Brazilian officials on Monday to lobby China to let its currency appreciate, a Brazilian official with direct knowledge of the discussions told Reuters.
In a meeting with Brazilian Finance Minister Guido Mantega, Geithner argued that the undervalued yuan is just as much as a problem for Brazil as it is for the United States, and urged Brazil "to lobby the Chinese to correct that situation," the source said on condition of anonymity.
Mantega replied: "We're against manipulating exchange rates," the source added. (Reporting by Ana Nicolaci da Costa, Writing by Todd Benson)
- White House reverses, says Obama met uncle and lived with him during law school
- South Africa mourns Mandela, will bury him on December 15 |
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image
- Flights delayed as air pollution hits record in Shanghai
- Microsoft leads disruption of largest infected global PC network