Woman sues McDonald's over glass in spicy chicken sandwich
CHICAGO (Reuters) - A woman sued McDonald's Corp, on Friday, saying she was injured after chewing on a "large shard of glass" inside her spicy McChicken sandwich.
Vjollca Lecaj said she suffered severe and permanent oral injuries, as well as "great pain and anguish," after biting into and chewing the glass last August 5 at a McDonald's in Oak Lawn, Illinois, near Chicago.
A spokeswoman for McDonald's did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
The complaint filed in Cook County Circuit Court said Lecaj's sandwich may have been contaminated after an overheated glass coffee pot exploded, causing glass shards to scatter.
Lecaj accused the world's largest fast-food chain of failing to properly inspect its cooking equipment and ensure that her sandwich could be eaten safely.
She is seeking more than $50,000 in damages. McDonald's is based in Oak Brook, Illinois.
(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York, Editing by Greg McCune)
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters press on |
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Singapore hit by rare outbreak of rioting, 27 arrested |
- Venezuela's Maduro to raise pressure on business after local vote
Nelson Mandela: 1918 - 2013
Reuters looks at the life and times of Nelson Mandela, an icon of peace and reconciliation who came to embody the struggle for justice around the world. Video