Palestinian Authority to hold election: official
RAMALLAH, West Bank
RAMALLAH, West Bank (Reuters) - President Mahmoud Abbas's Palestinian Authority will hold presidential and legislative elections before September, a senior Palestinian official said on Saturday.
"The Palestinian leadership decided to hold presidential and legislative elections before September," senior Abbas aide Yasser Abed Rabbo told reporters. "It urges all the sides to put their differences aside," he said, referring to a bitter rivalry between Abbas's West Bank-based government and Hamas, the Islamist movement which controls the Gaza Strip.
It was not clear whether Hamas would take part in any ballot.
(Reporting by Mohammed Assadi, Editing by Tim Pearce)
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Carnage at U.N. school as Israel pounds Gaza Strip |
- U.S. economy back on track with strong second-quarter rebound |
- Argentine debt talks down to the wire to avert default
- EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine |