One person dead, 33 wounded in northern Iraq protest
ARBIL, Iraq Feb 17 (Reuters) - One person was killed and 33 wounded when protesters clashed with police on Thursday in the northern Iraqi city of Sulaimaniya, two medical sources in the city said.
The clashes occurred when about 1,000 protesters stopped in front of the headquarters of the Kurdistan Democratic Party, headed by Iraqi Kurdistan president Masoud Barzani, and began to throw stones at the building, witnesses said.
Witnesses said police opened fire on the crowd. (Reporting by Shamal Aqrawi; Writing by Jim Loney)
- Target holiday cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards
- UPDATE 3-Saab wins Brazil jet deal after NSA spying sours Boeing bid
- Zuckerberg to sell Facebook shares worth about $2.3 billion
- Special Report: Why Ukraine spurned the EU and embraced Russia
- Facebook, Zuckerberg, banks must face IPO lawsuit: judge