UPDATE 1-Gammon in advanced talks with union at El Cubo
TORONTO Feb 22 (Reuters) - Gammon Gold Inc GAM.TO said on Tuesday that it is in advanced discussions with its union at the El Cubo gold mine in Mexico, in a bid to end an 8-month strike at the site.
The Toronto-based junior miner said it is optimistic that a resolution to the strike will be finalized in the near term, but stressed that a definitive agreement with the union has not yet been reached. Some recent media reports in Mexico had indicated that the strike had ended.
The company said that at this time the union continues to restrict access to the mine facilities. However, the two sides are set to inspect the underground mine on Tuesday, to chalk out work that needs to get done, before mining activities at the site resume.
Workers at the site went on strike in June 2010, after claiming that the company had failed to honor a profit-sharing agreement. (Reporting by Euan Rocha, editing by Gerald E. McCormick)
- U.S. war veteran released by North Korea returns home |
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Dynasty's Congress party punished in Indian state elections
- South Korea to make announcement on air zone; expansion is anticipated |
- Pennsylvania newlyweds "just wanted to murder someone together:" police