UPDATE 1-Gammon in advanced talks with union at El Cubo
TORONTO Feb 22 (Reuters) - Gammon Gold Inc GAM.TO said on Tuesday that it is in advanced discussions with its union at the El Cubo gold mine in Mexico, in a bid to end an 8-month strike at the site.
The Toronto-based junior miner said it is optimistic that a resolution to the strike will be finalized in the near term, but stressed that a definitive agreement with the union has not yet been reached. Some recent media reports in Mexico had indicated that the strike had ended.
The company said that at this time the union continues to restrict access to the mine facilities. However, the two sides are set to inspect the underground mine on Tuesday, to chalk out work that needs to get done, before mining activities at the site resume.
Workers at the site went on strike in June 2010, after claiming that the company had failed to honor a profit-sharing agreement. (Reporting by Euan Rocha, editing by Gerald E. McCormick)
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Lost Malaysian airliner may have run out of fuel over Indian Ocean : source |
- Investigators focus on foul play behind missing Malaysia plane: sources |
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source