U.S. fears Libya could become 'a giant Somalia'
WASHINGTON, March 2
WASHINGTON, March 2 (Reuters) - One of Washington's biggest concerns is that Libya will slide into chaos and become a haven for al Qaeda much like Somalia though it does not now expect that, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Wednesday.
"One of our biggest concerns is Libya descending into chaos and becoming a giant Somalia. It's right now not something that we see in the offing but many of the al Qaeda activists in Afghanistan and later in Iraq came from Libya and came from eastern Libya, which is now the so-called free area of Libya," Clinton told U.S. lawmakers said.
(Editing by Sandra Maler)
- Israel strikes house of Hamas Gaza leader, digs in for long fight |
- Special Report: Where Ukraine's separatists get their weapons
- U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- Civilians killed in eastern Ukraine in fierce fighting
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |