U.S. naval ships complete passage through Suez Canal
ISMAILIA, Egypt (Reuters) - Two U.S. amphibious assault ships, the USS Kearsarge and the USS Ponce, passed through Egypt's Suez Canal on Wednesday, arriving in the Mediterranean, a canal official said.
The United States had said on Monday it was moving ships and planes closer to Libya, where a revolt against Muammar Gaddafi's rule is under way. The Kearsarge can carry 2,000 Marines.
(Reporting by Yusri Mohamed; Writing by Dina Zayed)
- Cortege departs to take Mandela's body to lie in state |
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $344 million, fourth biggest in its history
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- UPDATE 1-U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $344 million, fourth biggest in its history
- Ukrainian riot police clash with protesters in Kiev square
Our day's top images, in-depth photo essays and offbeat slices of life. See the best of Reuters photography. See more