NATO says conditions apply to any Libya action
BRUSSELS, March 10
BRUSSELS, March 10 (Reuters) - NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said on Thursday any NATO military action in Libya would have to be based on there being a demonstrable need and a clear mandate and with support in the region.
"Any operation we undertake needs to respect three key principles: firstly there has to be demonstrable need for NATO action, secondly there has to be a clear legal basis, and thirdly there has to be firm regional support," he said, as NATO defence ministers met to discuss options to respond to the turmoil in Libya, including a possible no-fly zone.
(reporting by Missy Ryan and David Brunnstrom)
- Malaysia air force chief denies saying lost plane tracked to west |
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Toddler found with heroin at New Jersey daycare center
- Ukraine appeals to the West as Crimea turns to Russia |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source