Yen rises to fresh all-time high versus U.S. dollar
NEW YORK, March 16
NEW YORK, March 16 (Reuters) - The dollar dropped to a fresh record low against the yen in late New York trading on Wednesday as concerns escalated over a nuclear crisis in Japan.
The dollar fell as low as 79.56 yen on trading platform EBS JPY=EBS. The previous record low was 79.75 yen set in April, 1995.
Traders are nervously watching if the Bank of Japan will intervene in the currency market to stem yen gains. A stronger currency makes Japanese exports less competitive and hurts the economy. (Reporting by Wanfeng Zhou; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- Two U.S. states to quarantine health workers returning from Ebola zones |
- NYC police say hatchet attack by Islam convert was terrorism |
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise bill |