Yen rises to fresh all-time high versus U.S. dollar
NEW YORK, March 16
NEW YORK, March 16 (Reuters) - The dollar dropped to a fresh record low against the yen in late New York trading on Wednesday as concerns escalated over a nuclear crisis in Japan.
The dollar fell as low as 79.56 yen on trading platform EBS JPY=EBS. The previous record low was 79.75 yen set in April, 1995.
Traders are nervously watching if the Bank of Japan will intervene in the currency market to stem yen gains. A stronger currency makes Japanese exports less competitive and hurts the economy. (Reporting by Wanfeng Zhou; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
- Ten countries scour sea for Malaysia jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- Confrontation in Ukraine as diplomacy stalls |
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Mexico kills drug kingpin reported dead years ago: official
- Pistorius vomits in court at Steenkamp autopsy details |