Yen rises to fresh all-time high versus U.S. dollar
NEW YORK, March 16
NEW YORK, March 16 (Reuters) - The dollar dropped to a fresh record low against the yen in late New York trading on Wednesday as concerns escalated over a nuclear crisis in Japan.
The dollar fell as low as 79.56 yen on trading platform EBS JPY=EBS. The previous record low was 79.75 yen set in April, 1995.
Traders are nervously watching if the Bank of Japan will intervene in the currency market to stem yen gains. A stronger currency makes Japanese exports less competitive and hurts the economy. (Reporting by Wanfeng Zhou; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
- Comedian Joan Rivers 'resting comfortably' at hospital |
- In town halls, U.S. lawmakers hear voter anger over illegal migrants |
- No criminal charges in fatal gun range shooting by nine-year-old girl
- IBM launches Watson system for research, hopes for breakthroughs
- Chinese interceptions of U.S. military planes could intensify due to submarine base