Official death toll from Japan quake & tsunami tops 9,000: Kyodo
TOKYO (Reuters) - The official death toll from the devastating earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan earlier in the month has now exceeded 9,000, Kyodo news agency quoted the national police as saying on Tuesday.
Domestic media has reported over 20,000 people have died or are still unaccounted for.
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
- South Africa admits mistake over 'schizophrenic' Mandela signer |
- Thai military heads agree to meet protest leader at weekend |
- Missouri executes man for killing good Samaritan motorist in 1994
Thousands line up to say goodbye to Nelson Mandela, whose body is lying in state in Pretoria. Slideshow