Syrian forces open fire at protesters in Deraa
DERAA, Syria (Reuters) - Syrian security forces opened fire Wednesday on hundreds of youths who marched on Deraa in solidarity with the city after the killing of six civilians, witnesses said, in the sixth day of protests.
"The security forces fired as they came from the north, bodies fell in the streets," one of the witnesses said.
(Reporting by Suleiman al-Khaldi; Editing by Jon Boyle)
- U.S.' Kerry voices 'regret' to India over diplomat case |
- Washington, DC city council raises minimum wage to $11.50/hr in 2016
- China confirms near miss with U.S. ship in South China Sea
- Medical bills underlie 60 percent of U.S. bankrupts: study
- Mega Millions winners in Georgia, California to split $648 million |
During Soviet times, Sochi gained a reputation for tolerance but the city's once vibrant gay scene has been shrinking as Russia prepares to host the 2014 Winter Games. Slideshow