Syrian protesters denounce Assad's brother
DERAA, Syria, March 25
DERAA, Syria, March 25 (Reuters) - Protesters in the Syrian city of Deraa shouted slogans on Friday denouncing Maher al-Assad, brother of the Syrian president and head of the Republican Guard, a Reuters witness said.
"Maher you coward. Send your troops to liberate the Golan," thousands chanted as they headed to the main square in the city after the funeral of at least five protesters killed by security forces this week.
Israel captured the Golan Heights in a 1967 war.
- Merkel says tightening Ukraine-Russian border is key to peace deal |
- China rejects U.S. criticism over jet encounter
- Protesters mark two weeks since police shooting in Ferguson, Missouri |
- U.S. hostage rescuers dropped from night sky: Syria activist
- Gaza gunmen execute 'collaborators'; mortar kills Israeli boy |